Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day 26 - Late to bed, early to ride...

This is turning out to be SUCH a busy week with school.  The only way I was going to even fit a ride in on Marley today was to wake up way too early and get out there before class.  This would be fine, except that I was up all night working on a never ending mountain of school work.  I know, wah wah wah, but can't I just be grumpy for a minute?  It makes me feel better.  It does make it easier though that Mike wakes up every morning like he's just had 12 hours of sleep.  It gets me moving when all I want to do is drink a pot of coffee and reconsider being awake.  Where does he get all of his energy?

I couldn't do much ground work with Marley today as I had a really tight schedule, but I did tie him up to the outside of the large arena today where there is always a lot of activity.  I could tell he was pretty unsure about everything going on around him, but he acted like a gentleman and I think it will just take some time for him to feel comfortable with all of the horses and people walking around him.  Today was also the first time we rode in the large arena with other riders.  It was so funny, he would be completely fine until one of them started cantering, and then he would stop dead in his tracks, front feet spread apart, and snort.  I don't know what he thought they were going to do to him, but he would ignore them otherwise.  Eventually he realized they didn't care about him, and he was fine.  I wish I could just ask him what he was thinking.

I didn't have a camera today as it was just too crazy and I was by myself, but I'm hoping to get photos tomorrow.  I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that we are able to get some toe off of Marley, I think he will really feel much better. 

In other news, I sent my entry in this morning for the Abbe Ranch Spring Clinic!  I think it will be great for Marley to spend some time with lots of other horses and riders, and it will be a good learning experience for both of us.  If anyone is in the area and wants to come watch, I'm not sure what the policy is but you can check the Abbe Ranch website for details.  http://web.me.com/abberanch/Abbe_Ranch/Welcome.html

Marley on Day 1: It took hours to get this close
Photo by Forever Yours Photography

2 comments:

  1. Could it be he was wondering what everybody was running from? You know how they run away and turn and look to see what the "boo" is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you are doing Abbe Ranch! It will give him a chance to see other horses and be in a new environment. Poor you and school. :(

    ReplyDelete