Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Life and Love

On our hike up the mountain... I didn't know what I was in for!
Wow what a week!!  Mike and I went hiking and fishing at Chicago Lakes near Mt. Evans in Colorado and Mike proposed while we were at the lake!  We are getting Married next summer and I could not be happier.  What a year this has been so far! First with our decision to participate in the Extreme Mustang Makeover (while I continued school full time), meeting and falling in love with Marley, training our first mustang, OWNING our first mustang, and now this...  I am so overwhelmed with love and gratitude for all Mike has done to make keeping Marley a reality.  He spends time (that he barely has) helping me with Marley because it is something that I love to do, and while I know he enjoys playing with him and all that being a horse owner entails, Mike would not be here in Colorado playing with wild horses if it weren't for me.  For that, I'm eternally grateful.  Now as I gaze down at the ring on my finger, I can't believe what a lucky woman I am.  My only hope that I will bring as much to Mike's life as he brings to mine. 

Overlooking Chicago Lakes
Back in the car after a long day

Now before I get too personal on my horse blog, I'll move on to Marley's training.  Once again, our arena is a lake and the entire barn is a muddy mess.  We didn't get too much riding in last week because of it, but what training I have done has been really progressive.  Without a timeline or strict training schedule, Marley has become even more interested in training, and we are making huge strides under saddle and on the ground.  I am able to ride Marley bareback without a bridle at the walk and trot (without a liberty wire and with only some minor steering problems) which is just unbelievably exciting for me.  I feel like I'm 9 years old again playing with my first pony, Amour, who was a saint of a mare we could literally do anything on... except go fast.  Marley's patience and affection for people continues to grow and it just gets more fun to work with him every day.  I am still working on shaping his body into collection (free without tack or ropes) which I have never done, so we will see.  So far, we aren't getting anywhere quickly, but I've seen it done, and it is beautiful. 

Driving to the barn... I didn't know I had to cross a lake to get there!
Lauren (not me) and Marley

 In other Marley news, Lauren Carpenter (my pseudo little cousin) came down to see Marley for the first time since she saw him on Day 2!  She was amazed at how much he has changed, and not only that, but she got to ride him!  Marley was.... well.... safe, to say the least.  He didn't know what to do, so he just refused to do anything but walk.  Eventually he realized that this new rider on his back wasn't any different than me (no one was going to hurt him), and he was much more responsive.  Lauren will be coming to spend more time with Marley and get some riding in, which I'm really excited for because one, I love Lauren and two, it's great for Marley to be exposed to different situations and riders. 




On June 17th we are planning on doing a little schooling show down the road, so I'll take lots of pictures and post them on Monday.  As the weather gets nicer we will be spending more time actually training with Marley, and I can't wait for everyone to see how far he has come.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I am so happy for you! You, Marley, and Mike will make a great family (well, you already were, but this makes it official). Great job with Marley, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! You guys are adorable together. I'm so happy for you. It's wonderful to find someone who will support you like that.

    Marley looks great. I love being able to let other people ride my horse. It definitely brings out the horse's personality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!!!! So happy for you both! Well, all three of you--LOL!!

    I hope the water and mud dries up soon! Glad Marley and Lauren are getting to know each other, too. What a happy, happy post!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to the three of you. A ready made family. Looking forward to more pictures.

    Do you think you will include Marley in the ceremony?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, I'm so happy for you guys.

    Have been reading your blog for some time now, and I am thrilled for you and your happy news.

    Congratulations. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!

    What a good, honest horse you have to not take advantage of his new rider and instead choose to take it slow and figure out who she is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the proposal! What a wonderful way to propose. :D You guys are so great together and the three of you are going to make such an awesome little family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this.. Your blog and pictures are fabulous. I am adopting a Mustang orphaned foal from the Triple B round-up. Fortunately he was matched up with a foster Mom, so he has had horse education and milk. I certainly may write you for advice. Just beautiful to watch and read.
    Thank you. ps I'm trying to obtain signatures on a Petition to Stop Horse Slaughter, If you would please sign and pass on to your adoring public for signatures, the horses would so appreciate it. Yours...Paula Denmon
    https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/%21/petition/support-ban-horse-slaughter/q30gJg1k?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

    ReplyDelete